18 November 2016

Mainstream media edits the truth the way they want you to see it

From carefully scripted radio / television interviews to alleged 'reality shows' where the contestants MUST follow the directives of the producers, the mainstream media is responsible for distorting the truth for whatever reasons.

In an unlikely story the 'truth' comes out on what goes on behind the scenes and how a story is packaged up for 'public consumption'.

Read the article from 17 Nov 2016 by thefix.nine.com.au  of the headline:

Molly Meldrum blames Aussie network for destroying his relationship with Elton John


Molly Meldrum interviews Elton John in 2012 for Channel Seven’s Sunday Night.


Elton John won't take Molly Meldrum's phone calls, and the Aussie TV and music legend only has one person to blame.

Well, actually Molly, 73, holds an entire network accountable in an excerpt from his new memoir published by News Ltd.

It all began in 2012, shortly after Molly's life threatening fall, when he interviewed his old pal Elton, 69, for Channel Seven's Sunday Night. It appears Elton said some pretty nasty things about Madonna, 58, off the record that ended up in the interview when it aired.

"She's such a nightmare," Elton said. "First of all, her career is over. I can tell you that. Her tour has been a disaster, and it couldn't happen to a bigger c---."

Naturally, Madonna's relationship with Elton was as over as her career supposedly was, and by extension, so was Elton and Molly's friendship.



Molly receives a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2014 ARIAs

In his book, Molly explains that the Madonna bit was never intended for public consumption.

"It was a fantastic interview, and Elton was very generous and revealing," he writes. "The story didn't need anything 'extra' but a Sunday Night producer went behind my back and decided to include some comments Elton made about Madonna.

"This part of the interview was clearly a chat between two old friends and not intended for public broadcast. I guess I should have been more in control of the final edit and approved the story before it went to air, but I was not at the top of my game, still recovering from my fall.

"I was shocked when the story was shown on Sunday Night on 5 August, 2012. The introduction declared that 'what he's about to say will sweep around the world'."

For those who aren't aware of the backstory, Elton was upset at Madonna because of some disparaging comments she'd made about Elton's close pal Lady Gaga, who is godmother to Zachary, Elton's five-year-old son with his husband David Furnish. (Gaga, 30, is also godmother to their three-year-old Elijah.)



Gaga and Elton onstage in 2010

In his interview with Molly, Elton also took aim at Madonna's music and her image, likening her to "a f---ing fairground stripper".

"I was a little shocked by Elton’s comments, but I was more shocked when they went to air," Molly adds in his book. "In fact, I was furious. Elton and Madonna were also furious."

Molly explained that when he complained to Channel Seven, they shrugged him off because "the ratings were great". That only made him more furious.

"Elton still thinks it was all my fault, and refused to talk to me when he toured Australia in 2015," Molly writes. "I avoided his concert, going to see Taylor Swift instead.

"It's all a little silly, really. I'm tempted to quote a line from one of my favourite movies: 'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.' But the truth is, I do give a damn. I love Elton."

1 comment:

Jippity Jo said...

The moral of the story is never say behind someone's back, what you wouldn't say to their face. Queen Elton needs to build a bridge and get over it! I can't believe it's been more than four years since Molly had his fall! Stay well Molly. It's Eltons loss.